More and more organisations and project, programme and portfolio managers use the IPMA ICB® as the global standard and the IPMA Certification as the scale for their competence. The IPMA Integrated Services Package consists of:
- the IPMA 4-L-C with the two level extension for the PM Consultants;
- the IPMA Excellence Award model;
- the IPMA Delta certification of organisations.
This service package fits the personal development and career of individuals as well as the excellence of projects and project teams and the competitiveness of companies and other organisations.
Within this 3 level framework Project, Programme and Portfolio Management consultants (PM Consultants) are in a position to enable organisations to develop and to conduct their PM system and their competence in managing projects, programmes and project portfolios, playing and important role in project management practice. However, they are not accountable for the Project, Programme, Portfolio products and outcomes but, instead, they are advising project managers and organizations.
Based on the above IPMA started the development of a new standard for PM consultancy competences, making this standard measurable as a certification, deciding to extend the Four Level Certification (4-L-C) system by a Two-Level Certification for PM Consultants:
- IPMA PMC : IPMA Certified Project Management Consultant
- IPMA PPMC : IPMA Certified Programme and Portfolio Management Consultant
In addition to the 4-L-C system, where individuals demonstrate their competence in managing projects, programmes and portfolios, we now add processes to assesscompetences in PM Consultants. With this extension the IPMA certification system offers a framework for individuals performing roles and managing their career path in PM and PM Consultant areas.
By practicing their PM and consultancy competences, existing IPMA certification holders can strengthen and develop their customers’ organisations to obtain better results and achieve the agreed objectives and outcomes of their projects, programmes and portfolios.
IPMA Certified Programme and Portfolio Management Consultant
The entry requirements for this level are:
- Has in the last eight years at least 5 years of broad experience in PM consultancy, of which at least two years at the PPMC level
- Has in the last twenty years at least 3 years of experience in managing complex projects
- The candidate shall be able to deliver PM consultancy services on a PM strategic, organisation and strategy implementation level (Executive level, Project Portfolio or Programme Responsible, PM Responsible)
- Implementation and Development of PM in an Organization;
- Organization Strategic Development (related to Project, Programmes and Portfolios);
- Cultural Change related to PM implementation and Development;
- Is proficient in established consulting methodology and tools as well as complex intervention method
IPMA Certified Project Management Consultant
The entry requirements for this level are:
- Has in the last eight years at least 3 years of broad experience at the PMC level
- Has in the last twenty years at least 3 years of experience in managing projects
- Project including its environment
- Advice for all technical, behavioural and contextual aspects of the project management.
- Is proficient in established consulting methodology and tools as well as intervention methods
ICBC Additional Competence Elements
The IPMA Competence Baseline for Consultants (ICBC) builds upon ICB Version 3.0 competence elements, adding, assessing a PM Consultant, 14 additional competence elements that are categorised into the ranges of technical, behavioural and contextual competences, as shown in the diagram below.
Certification of Consultants Process Steps
Note that each Member Association’s Certification Body selects optional items, such as the Role Play Workshop. See the graphic view of the process below, in addition to the step-by-step view.
- Application, Curriculum vitae, Self-assessment
- List of projects, programmes and portfolios
- List of PM Consultancy mandates
- Report proposal
- Certification Board checks application documents
- People to be contacted for references
- 360-degree assessment
- IPMA project management certifications
- Code of Professional Conduct
- Project Management Exam
- PM Consultancy Exam
- Case study report
- Competence development plan
- Role-play workshop
- Assessment Interview
- Final evaluation and recommendation
- Decision and issue of certificate
- Feedback from the candidate
Certification of Consultants has been approved as a new programme by IPMA’s Council of Delegates, and is available through Member Associations that participated in its development, pilote it, and have adopted it. See the link above for offering Member Associations.