If we initiate our projects wrongly, then success can be elusive, if not impossible.
In an increasing complexity environment, Project Managers must consider not only technical and administrative tasks, but also being a leader towards the sponsor or owner, the top management and the project team. A structured approach to initiation of projects typically includes
- The project preparation phase focused on completing the project definition, generating top management support, and on the final decision to launch the project.
- During the project start-up phase, the project definition is expanded by applying additional analysis and planning methods, as well as by creation of a high-performing team and trust among participants.
Well begun is half completed. This course will teach you how to make common sense concerning project initiation the common practice in your projects.
You will receive training in both your method application for project initiation and your leadership behaviour – and we will provide in-depth experiences to promote a proactive approach on project planning.
The course format alternates between intensive plenary sessions and group sessions. Each group will select a real-life project represented by one of the participants in the group. This forms the continuous case study for the group sessions.
As a participant you will learn to:
- Promote the preparation and start-up concept
By arguments for investing effort in the initiation stages and an overview of approaches and methods for the initiation.
- Plan the preparation and start-up process
By applying a method for selecting instruments for initiation which fit the character and challenges of your project.
- Manage preparation and start-up workshops
With focus on applying methods and tools designed for involving the participants in the analysis and planning of the project and gaining common perception of the project.
- Intensify communication by skilled facilitation
By insight into the role of a project facilitator, becoming more conscious of your own leadership behaviour, demonstrating the effect of different leadership styles and training tools for teaming.
- Structure the project management documents
To promote visibility during the project initiation stages, and to make these accessible virtually for project parties.
- Implement improved preparation and start-up
Via guidelines and tools for project initiation in your own organisation.
↑ Go to top
Managing Director and Chief Consultant,
Fangel Consultants Denmark
Jesper Garde Schreiner
Senior Project Manager